Wow! Was I surprised on Friday night while I was shopping at Walmart? The answer is no, I was shocked!! There is a lot that leads up to this surprise that makes it all the better so if you wish, read on. It was a Friday afternoon and Benn calls me to see what we have planned for the weekend. I told him earlier that week not to plan any work on Saturday because we were going to go out to the lake with some friends, so I reiterated our Saturday morning plans for him... again! So when he gets home from work I am getting Kamryn ready for her dance audition and tell Benn that I need to go grocery shopping. He is asking why I have to go tonight and when will I be home because he wants me home with him tonight. The reason I had to go that night is because we are going to Lake Powell on Monday and need food for the trip AND since we were planning on going to the lake and out with fiends again Saturday night there was no time to go on Saturday. I am surprised that I didn't question all his inquiries, since he never does that. Benn always goes along with whatever I happen to plan for us. I think it was because I had so much going on. Anyway, so Benn tells me he has to pick up "Brandon" from the airport at 6:30 and since "Brandon" has picked us up many times in the past he owes him the favor. Again, I am surprised that I didn't ask where "Brandon" was flying in from and was his wife, Jamie with him, but I let it all go. I only asked of Benn to pick Kamryn up from dance when she was done at 7pm. Now, I am off to grocery shop. I was taking my sweet time at Walmart getting everything I needed for our upcoming trip and for the lake the next day, when Benn calls me. He is at the airport waiting for "Brandon." His plane is delayed. Now, how are we going to get Kamryn from dance? Panic sets in. I start calling everyone I have phone numbers for and since its a Friday night, of course nobody is home. I have a cart full of groceries and even if I left at that moment to check out and run to the dance studio it would take at least 30 minutes. Benn calls me again and says that Kamryn had called him and she is done early. Oh my gosh!! Could we get a break here? He tries to call her back at the dance studio to ask her if there is anyone there she knows who can give her a ride home, but they are not answering their phones since it is past business hours. Seriously I was standing in the middle of the grocery store dialing and texting, trying to find a ride for my helpless little dancer who was going to be very mad if she was stranded at the dance studio. Finally, I get a hold of Kamryn at the studio and she says that a friend can take her home. Next I get a call from Benn who says he is on his way home. I give a huge sigh of relief. I am probably not painting the best picture of how stressed I was for about 15 minutes, but I was sweating!! Right after I get back to my grocery shopping, I get another call from my good friend, Stacy, who used to live in Vegas but moved last year to Phoenix. For a second I considered not answering since I was trying to get done at the grocery store. But I answered it anyway and as I was coming down the aisle, there was Stacy! I screamed and hung up my phone. She didn't recognize me at first since I blended well with the usual Friday night Walmart shoppers. I just started laughing and wondered why she was here. Was she visiting family in town and needed to run to get groceries? Then she tells me that I have the best husband and I have put him through the ringer tonight. I was confused for just a second and then I started crying. My husband who has never really ever surprised me, just flew in my good friend and old college roommate for my birthday a week ago. He managed to pull this off with such an inquisitive wife. I couldn't believe it! I was stunned as I sat there laughing and crying. The reason behind all this madness was a casual comment I made a couple weeks earlier. I told Benn to fly in my two friends who had moved away just before my birthday last year so we could celebrate. Well he delivered one of them, which is much more than I ever expected, obviously!
So Stacy and I hung out for a couple days. We took Kamryn to her call back on Saturday and stayed there with her. She was very mad that she wasn't able to go boating with our friends so we took her out to lunch afterwards and went shopping for back to school clothes. Later that night, we went to see a total chic flick - Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Just a side note, these four books are so fun to read and the movies were good too. So if you are finished with vampires, these are a good easy read. What a whirlwind of visitors, my parents then Kerry and to finish it off, Stacy. Its been a fun couple of weeks and made my summer fly on by.
Thanks Benn for pulling off such an incredible surprise. Still as I write this I am amazed at how you could keep something this big a secret from me!
2 comments:
What an awesome husband!!!!!
Wow! I'm impressed. Great Job Benn! The only part of the story I DON'T believe is that YOU blended in with the typical Walmart shopper on a Friday night. I've been to Walmart in Vegas on a Friday night and, you Amy, do not blend in with that crowd! : )
Post a Comment