Friday - Went skiing with my Dad! OK, I have not skied in roughly 5 years. And my skis were 3x that old. I don't know why I didn't just rent some newer skis, although I thought about it the night before and the morning of. I decided that I didn't want to waste time getting rentals when I could be on the mountain skiing. About mid-morning, we rode the life with a 65 year old gentleman. As soon as our rear ends hit the seat, he said, "Wow, now there is a great conversation starter!" He was referring to my ancient skis. Trying to defend myself, I told him that when I only ski twice a decade what was the point. he said that was exactly the point - I should rent! So feeling kind of mental, I sat there while he went on to tell me how technology has changed at least twice since my skis were made and blah, blah, blah. I am just glad that he was the only person who joined my Dad and I on the lifts that day.
Old skis aside, the skiing was the best you could ask for! It had snowed the day before leaving Snowbird with fresh white snow. Most of the runs were groomed, which is how I prefer it. I like going down the runs at a leisurely pace and I don't like to fall. There is no need to try and get better or improve my technique at this age so I don't take chances and I stay away from the powder and moguls. On a particular run, I became separated from my Dad and found myself alone with white powder everywhere I looked. I had followed another skier off onto a trail that led us away from the groomed run. By the time I realized where I was going, there was no way out, but down the deep powder. I sat there a moment pretending to take in the beautiful scenery, like the others around me. When I realized I was in the way of someone taking pictures, I thought that I need to get moving. So off I went the only way I could. Instead of making perfect S shape turns down the mountain, like really good skiers do, I chose to do great big zig-zags and take it slow. I fell three times and by the time I finally found my dad at the bottom, my body was covered with the greatest snow on earth!
I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to walk the next day. My legs were on fire by lunch time. I had such a good time though, soaking in the sun, talking with my Dad on the lift and skiing without the crowds. Even the snowboards were courteous!
We left early in the afternoon to head back to SLC. My youngest sister, Kerry, was graduating from the University of Utah that evening and most of my family was meeting for dinner before heading up to campus. This, I am sure, was a happy moment for my Dad. He wanted all his kids to graduate from college and now it was a done deal. And, Kerry did it in four years! I say this because Kerry and Jody were the only ones who pulled that one off. My brothers and me were apparently on a longer time-line. Congratulations, Ker-bear!
1 comment:
Oh it looks like it was so much fun, the graduation, I'm not a big fan of skiing. I do better and like snow boarding. But we feel bad we missed graduation.
Post a Comment