Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Our Snow Day


As all of you probably heard, the Las Vegas Valley was hit with tons of snow last week. It made news all over and was very exciting for my kids. It really felt like winter was here and with the Christmas holiday looming, it just made the season more merrier for us. I took lots of pictures of Carter playing in the snow. Kamryn happened to be at a friends house and went sledding - of which I have no pictures of. And Mason was down and out with bronchitis. Poor guy... he wanted so much to play outside with Carter and the other neighborhood kids.

Wednesday the kids didn't have school anyway because of conferences at school. The day didn't start off looking like there was going to be much of anything going on. So I was surprised when just before lunch the snow started to fall and didn't stop until after we had gone to bed. It looked so beautiful and peaceful. I love the quiet the snow brings. It reminded me so much of the Utah winters I experienced growing up. I even dared to go out driving. I wasn't worried because I love driving in the snow with my four wheel drive! But Las Vegas and it's residents are sure not experienced with such large amounts of snow. There were stranded cars everywhere and accidents too. Benn and the kids gave a ride to a lady who had left her car and was walking in her high heels home. It was definitely a day for the sorrels and snow pants!

The next day, Thursday, school was closed. A snow day in Vegas! I remember loving snow days in Utah when I was little. As I grew up, they became a pain. My brothers and I would have to shovel snow off the side walks and drive way. We lived on a corner which meant more sidewalks than the usual house. One winter, we had to climb on the roof and remove the snow that was at least knee deep. There had been so much heavy snow that roofs were caving in all over the valley. That day I remember thinking that I wished I would have been in school. For some reason Kamryn felt the same way. She wanted to go to school and didn't want to stay home. It might have something to do with the cute boy in her class that seems to like her (that is a whole different story).

Carter got his taste of a real snowball fight that day. I don't think he's much of a fan. Being that Carter was at least 2 years younger than the most accurate snowball throwers, he seemed to get a fair share of snow balls coming his way. I have to give him some credit though. He did try. When I asked him if he knew how to make snowballs he said, "Yeah, but they [the other boys] make them too fast." So he felt picked on a little bit, actually a lot. I heard him yell to the boys that if anyone of them hit him again with a snowball that he would kill them. Well, what do you think happened next? The snowballs came flying at a rapid rate toward my boy who tries to dish it out, but definitely cannot take his own medicine. So Carter came into the house looking for a gun. When I asked him why he needed a gun, he said, "I'm gonna kill them!" Well, this might be the next kid who finds his father's gun and ends up going ballistic at a shopping mall or school. Let's hope not, but I did ask Benn where his shotgun was being kept at the moment. Good thing he left the guns in Koosharem!


Carter outside around 1:3pm, just when the snow was starting to stick




Carter was being pulled on a boogie board by the neighbors. None of us had any sleds!

No comments: