Ok, I left off at the wedding dinner. After having such a great night with my siblings, their spouses, and mom, I was so exhausted. I just wanted to go to bed. We didn't leave the dinner until 9:30ish. My mom wanted to hurry home to change and get to the hospital to see my Dad as he got out of surgery. Jody and Cory were going up (their kids were spending the night at their other grandparents house, lucky!!!), Kerry and Ben, were going. I really wanted to go, but was so tired. And if you know me, sleep pretty much is my first priority whenever I get tired. And I figured that we would see my Dad tomorrow after the wedding. Well, when Kris came over to pick up my mom, I knew that I had to go. I felt bad for leaving Benn, since he had just flown in before the wedding dinner and we hadn't had much time to catch up and be with each other. But he was understanding and said that I should go. And I am so glad I did!
Kris raced us up to LDS hospital because my Mom was trying to meet with the surgeon before he left. My Mom and I got into the hospital right as my Dad was being wheeled out of surgery. OH. MY. GOSH!!!! My Dad was so alert. So hilarious. Looked so much better than the days past. He was chatting with whomever would listen. He looked at me and his eyes welled up with tears and he said, "I'm so glad your here. You are beautiful." I lost it. I held my Dad's hand while they wheeled him into his room, while my Mom chatted it up with the surgeon, and while the nurse got him hooked up to every machine possible in his room. Many times he told me he was glad I was there and how beautiful I was. The anethesia was awesome!!! He said he felt so much better than he'd had in the past 10 days, which was good to hear. Now on the road to recovery!
My Dad joked with the nurses and with all of us. He was quoting stand up comedian, Brian Regan, and was having what seemed to be a very good time. It was after 11 o'clock before we said that we needed to get going. He didn't want any of us to leave, especially my Mom. He kissed her as she hugged him and I started to bawl once again. To see the love between my Dad and Mom was such a pick-me-up at that time. We left with a prayer of thanksgiving and graditude for the wonderful angels that were helping my Dad and Mom, Dr. Staker and now surgeon, Dr. Rees.
Went back to my Mom's and slept little that night. Had to be up early to help Kerry and get eveything ready to be at the temple by 9:30.
Thursday, Aug. 13th. While I was getting myself ready for the temple I heard Benn on the phone with somone. He was talking about my Dad being at the temple that morning. I froze and with shock asked Benn who he was talking to and what he was talking about. Well, at this present day, Benn doesn't remember who he was talking to or what was being talked about. Men!!! Well, at the time Benn told me that my Dad was going to try and make it to the temple with the help of Dr. Staker. What?!? How?!!? The man, just had surgery last night! I was all of a sudden on this incredible high. My heart was racing and I felt like I was on a caffine drip. I think I did have a diet coke that morning, but the 12 oz. can couldn't be the reason for my giddiness. We made it to the temple in plenty of time. I felt like I was rushing to see if my Dad was really in fact going to be at the temple.
We walked into the waiting area, and most of this is a blur to me. I remember a lot of people being there, but who I spoke with and who I excitedly told of my Dad maybe coming that morning, my mind has failed me, and I don't remember. I just remember Dr. Staker wheeling my Dad through the crowd up to the temple worker that ushers everyone to their respective sealing rooms. I ran up to him and gave him a hug. My Dad was fighting to keep himself composed. I don't have that fight in me. I just let it out. I couldn't believe it! My Dad was there to see my sister get married! It was what we all had prayed for! A miracle was happening right before my eyes!!! I held his hand. He did't talk much, I could tell he was in pain and with his emotions, he was just trying to keep everything together.
I do remember walking back to the bathroom to gather more tissue. I then saw my brother, Kris, and his wife, Lindsay. I told them that Dad was there, in the temple. Kris didn't believe me. But it was true. I still can't believe that it was true.
When it was time, we all ushered into the sealing room. All us ladies, prepared for the tears that would surely come. And come they did! It was the most perfect ceremony I have been to. The temple is a sacred place and I felt like I was witnessing a very sacred moment. Words cannot express the feelings in me. I was overcome with the spirit of our Lord. He is merciful, kind and just. And at that time I recommitted myself to always do His will (and in light of recent events, also accept His will). My testimony was strengthened that day, like it never has been. Even as I write this, the feelings are coming back to me and it is hard to hold back the tears.
My Dad's good friend, Joseph Goodman, was the one who sealed Kerry and Ben together for time and eternity. I think I may have mentioned him in one of the earlier posts about how he gave my Dad a blessing before his kidney surgery... Anyway, he didn't know that my Dad was going to be there that morning. He was pretty choked up during the ceremony as well. I don't think there was a dry eye, at least on the Rosander side, in that room. I really didn't want to leave that room or the temple that day. It was an amazing, beautiful experience.
This day was the reason I had to write about all of this. Again, I can't explain or put into words the feelings of despair that I felt during this time, nor can I fully describe the joy that was felt when by the hands of angels, the Lord answered my families sincere prayers. My Dad made it to the temple to see my sister get married!!! My heart is seriously overflowing right now as I write, just as it was that day.
The Lords hears us when we pray. He does answer prayers. All we have to do is put our faith in Him. How very simplistic the restored gospel of Jesus Christ is!!!
"Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel." Alma 26:16
2 comments:
I love that scripture. We have truly seen the Lords hand in our lives.
Thanks for sharing this experience. I'm sure it wasn't easy, but I enjoyed hearing your testimony. What a blessing to have your dad at the temple! I hope your dad keeps getting better!
Post a Comment