Sunday, July 25, 2010

Hawaii

My blog is depressing, the songs are depressing... enough of that!!! Time for something fun and happy, despite real life. So here are pictures of our Hawaii trip back in May. Luckily Benn lost his job after we got back, not before, so we look happy as can be :)

Day 1. May 7th - Our Hawaii adventure really started the night before, when at 9:45pm we got an automated phone call from the airlines saying that our flight had been cancelled for the next morning and that we had an alternate itinerary scheduled to leave Las Vegas a day later. This was not acceptable, so I immediately got on the phone with Delta and after talking until I was blue in the face and laughing instead of crying, I found out there were no other flights out of Las Vegas headed to SLC or LA where we could meet up with the other leg of our flight itinerary. I was asked by the agent helping us if we could get ourselves to Cedar City to fly out. Seriously??? That is the point I started to get hysterical. All we needed was to get a flight to either SLC or LA and there was nothing available until a day later on Delta. I could not believe it! To make this long and frustrating story shorter, after 90 minutes on the phone, I booked two flights to LA on Southwest Airlines (luckily my parents had some free flights we were able to use) and then fly to Kauai on Delta which was part of our original itinerary. We also received $400 in Delta credit, which we gave to my parents in trade for the Southwest vouchers.

Benn and I met up with my family in LA and we were all so giddy to be able to leave our kids and head to paradise for a week! I love my family and being with them is so much fun! We all had a fabulous time and were so glad it worked out that we could all go. You see, this trip was actually scheduled for November of 2009, but with my Dad's recent diagnosis of cancer, back in Aug., my Mom cancelled the trip. My brother, Mark and his wife would not have been able to go had the trip been in November because their twins were too young to leave. Now fast forward to May of 2010, twins are bigger and able to be left with Chelsey's sweet Mom. My Dad is feeling relatively good doing his chemotherapy once a week. So it all worked out for the best.

Mom, Jody & Cory making a Costco grocery list

Kerry

Cory & Ben showing off our sweet sleeping quarters and reading material

This last picture needs some explaining, if not just for me to document what happened. Unfortunately, we were not all able to stay at the Waiohai Marriott where my parents own a time share. My Mom made arrangement for the sisters (Kerry, Jody, myself & spouses) to stay in a condo down the street and when we opened the door to our humble abode, we were met with a wonderful stench of smoke and mold. It was a very rugged condo, the kind of condo that you wouldn't want to spend much time in.

Then there were the sleeping arrangements to work out. There were only two bedrooms and a sofa sleeper. Not to be petty, but Kerry and I (and spouses) had slept on the sofa sleepers the last time we were in Kauai. Jody happened to be pregnant the last time and this time. So there was an elephant in the room that nobody was talking about. I didn't want the sofa sleeper, Kerry didn't want the sleeper either, but here is Jody 5 months pregnant. We all sat up late, not discussing the inevitable topic of sleeping. Instead we talked about how gross this condo was, but how could we complain because we were in Hawaii for crying out loud!
Then we saw the cockroach and the gecko and wondered what other critters were joining us that night. About this time Benn found the harlequin romance books in the closet and brought one out to show the group. Cory was all over the book and decided to read us some random passages. Ummm... all I can say is that those are seriously disgusting books! Phrases from the book kept popping into conversation all week long sending all of us into laughter each time. Then a month later, the same book was wrapped up and given to Kerry for her birthday. I wonder if inventory was taken and my parents were charged $4 for the missing book.

Eventually, Jody decided that she couldn't sleep in the condo and went to sleep at the Marriott in one of the sofa sleepers there. Kerry/Ben & Benn/I were left to sleep in the moldy/smoky condo. We did live through the first night and the next day, arrangements were made for us to move condos; to a better, more livable space.

1 comment:

Jer + Lu said...

Wow. Off to a rather rocky start! You better post the rest of the trip- and hopefully it has a happy ending! My hubs + I went to Hawaii this summer too. Total blast!!