Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Birthday & Baptism


Carter turned eight on October 10th. To say he was super excited for this day is a gross understatement. He had been planning his birthday probably since his last one. And not only was this any birthday, he was going to be baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and start going to scouts with his Dad every Wednesday night.

Carter's birthday fell on a Saturday so he was able to be baptized on his birthday. It worked out great... celebrating all day! He was so excited from the moment he woke up that day. That may have had something to do with the fact that he snuck a peek at his birthday presents before I had a chance to wrap them. The day we were to leave Vegas, he wrote me this note:
Dear Amy,

If their is any presens hiden under your bed or the sides of the bed, can you please rap them?

Thank you!

I guess, I need a new hiding place. It wasn't that original to begin with...

We woke up the morning of the 10th and got ready for the baptism. We were having a brunch before with family. I relented and let him open the gifts that he was most excited for. He got a Rip Stick, helmet, wrist, knee and elbow guards. And he was pretty excited to get his own set of scriptures that were given to him by all of his grandparents. Those were the big presents. We saved all the less exciting ones for later when we had cake. He wasn't at all happy about receiving so many articles of clothing that evening, but when you open all the good gifts first, it's all downhill from there!


I love the look on Mason's face! He could care less about scriptures!!!

The baptism was perfect. I wished our Vegas friends could have been there, but I don't think Carter cared a bit. My Mom spoke on faith. She would ask Carter questions during her talk and a couple times his cousin, Beckham, who is Mason's age would give the answer. Carter got fed up at one point, leaned over to address his younger cousin, and told him, "Beckham! I'm supposed to answer!" It was so funny!!! Surprisingly, Carter was very attentive during the program. Kamryn and Aunt Melissa sang. Uncle Mark spoke on the Holy Ghost and both Grandpa's gave their testimonies as well. I loved it! It was the perfect baptism for Carter. It was personal, intimate and very special.

After Benn baptized Carter, they were in changing out of their wet clothes and Carter held up his arms and asked Benn, "Do you see my sins?" In primary, he was taught that when someone is baptized their sins will be "washed" away and the Lord remembers them no more. I'm guessing that is what he was talking about. I love that kid!

3 comments:

Rosander said...

That's so cute! I'm so glad that I don't see my sins! It was a perfect day! Happy Birthday Carter, We love you!

Kittyrunner said...

How cute! I'm definitely glad we don't see our sins, too. :) That's such a special baptism--I'm glad you were able to do it with so much family.

Jolin said...

Congratulations to Carter on choosing to be baptized.

Love the little note he wrote you - too cute!